House Passes Series of Bills to Combat Terrorism
WASHINGTON D.C. – The United States House of Representatives passed twelve bills that will help prevent terror attacks and protect United States citizens at home and abroad. Included in the series was the Counterterrorism Information Sharing Improvement Act of 2017 (H.R. 4569), the DHS Interagency Counterterrorism Task Force Act of 2017 (H.R. 4555), and the Post-Caliphate Threat Assessment Act of 2017 (H.R.4564).
Congressman Scott Tipton (CO-03) supported all of the bills.
“The most important role of Congress is to keep the American people and our homeland safe from those who mean us harm,” said Tipton. “We must remain vigilant in our fight against terror, which is why I was proud to vote in favor of preemptive legislation that will put necessary measures in place, ensuring the defense of the United States and its allies.”
H.R. 4569 would direct the President, acting through the Department of Homeland Secretary, (DHS) to ensure that, for counterterrorism purposes, the DHS has access to biographic and biometric data collected by the U.S. government on individuals with ties to terrorist organizations.
H.R. 4555 would direct the Secretary of DHS to assign personnel to participate in overseas interagency counterterrorism task forces. These task forces would assist in counterterrorism information sharing and fight the threat of terrorism originating from nations where terrorism is rampant.
H.R. 4564 would direct the Secretary of DHS, in coordination with the Secretary of State and Director of National Intelligence, to conduct a threat assessment of current foreign terrorist fighter activity, which would include travel, trends, and current activity in Iraq and Syria.
Additional bills in the House-passed series include:
- Domestic Explosives Detection and Canine Capacity Building Act of 2017 (H.R. 4577)
- Securing American Non-Profit Organizations Against Terrorism Act of 2017 (H.R. 1486)
- Counter Terrorist Network Act (H.R. 4578)
- DHS Overseas Personnel Enhancement Act of 2017 (H.R. 4567)
- SAFE Tech Act (H.R. 4561)
- Global Aviation System Security Reform Act of 2017 (H.R. 4559)
- Cyber Vulnerability Disclosure Reporting Act (H.R. 3202)
- Screening and Vetting Passenger Exchange Act of 2017 (H.R. 4581)
- Securing DHS Firearms Act of 2017 (H.R. 4433)
# # #